The Abu Garcia Orra S was one of the most surprising purchases I made last year. Right off the top, the black and red colour scheme gives the reel a very slick unique look. The reel feels smooth right out of the box and gets better as you use it. For less than $100 you get a slick looking reel with some very high end features that you get on $200+ reels….and you get an extra spool.
Last season I used a Orra S20 for many different tasks, from drop-shotting with 8lb fluorocarbon on Lake Simcoe smallies to throwing jerk-baits with braid, this reel is a fishing machine. As smooth as this reel feels, I was most surprised with the quality of the drag system. Abu Garcia calls it a “Hybrid Carbon Matrix” drag system. And what does that mean you ask? Well it means there are metal, felt and carbon drag washers that combined provide you with a smooth and powerful drag at any pressure setting. With six high performance corrosion resistant bearing’s and a one piece gear box that aligns the brass gears perfectly, you get a smooth powerful reel. Add slow oscillation that packs the line in evenly and prevents line bite, and a spool with a “reverse corkscrew” that makes it possible to tie braid directly spool with out slipping, its safe to say this reel has power to spare.
My only issue with the reel is the handle, its the only part of the reel that feels like it fits in the price range the reel is in. Its doesn’t feel all that bad to be honest, but I think if the handle was a little “tighter” it would make the reel that much better. And that is me just looking for an issue! Considering Abu Garcia put this reel at a price point under $100, you will be surprised at the product you get. So surprised you may feel like you stole something!
Over the last few years Abu Garcia has stepped up the quality and value of the reels that they produce and the Orra S is no exception. Abu Garcia has recently released two new reels in the Revo freshwater spinning reel line that bridges the gap between the Revo Premier and the Orra SX. But with the Orra S providing such great value, I can just imagine what the Revo’s will have to offer!
- 6 stainless steel HPCR™ bearings + 1 roller bearing provides increased corrosion protection
- One piece gear box design allows for more precise gear alignment for smoother operation
- Machined aluminum braid ready spool allows braid to be tied directly to the spool without any slip
- Hybrid Carbon Matrix™ drag system for super smooth reliable drag performance
- Slow oscillation provides even line lay with all types of line
- X-Cräftic™ alloy frame for increased corrosion resistance
- Duragear™ brass gear for extended gear life
- Everlast™ bail system for improved durability
- Stainless steel main shaft and components for improved corrosion resistance
[embedplusvideo height=”376″ width=”620″ standard=”http://www.youtube.com/v/8lVdirXga0U?fs=1″ vars=”ytid=8lVdirXga0U&width=620&height=376&start=&stop=&rs=w&hd=0&autoplay=0&react=1&chapters=¬es=” id=”ep7442″ /]